Saturday, September 19, 2026

Creating my bog garden: reality strikes

 In my last post I explained how a leaking pond became the trigger for a whole new garden ethos. I did not want to alter the entire look but just give it a new emphasis on wildlife and a more natural feel. Once the idea of turning the pond area into a bog garden grounded itself (pun intended) in my mind I became over-excited and that triggered the release of my alter-ego, Doc Barbara. This formidable lady unites with me sometimes - for better or for worse - but she is an admirable soul who upholds the ultimate values in life: honesty, integrity, compassion, the correct use of the semi-colon and thick tights.



She it was who dispatched me to my local stationer's to buy an artist's pad and some felt tips to translate the colourful visions in my head into a plan for the enterprise. Here it is above with possible planting. The green patch top left is a water lily pad under which live my newts. More, much more, about them will follow, as I channel my inner Gussie Fink-Nottle. 

Despite being 87, with limited mobility and sweltering in the first heat wave of 2026, I decided (or Doc Barbara propelled me) to undertake the whole project unaided. It seemed like a good idea at the time.


Reality then reasserted itself and I knew that, if I had to paddle through nutritious mud (food for the plants I mean - even Doc Barbara is not that eccentric), I would need special clothing. Imagine my joy when I unearthed (not literally - even I am not that eccentric) my old wellies and saw that they were perfectly colour co-ordinated with the marsh flowers I had in mind. Having rehoused the spiders that were creating their webs inside, I washed them out (the wellies not the spiders) and put them to dry - ready for the next thrilling episode. 

P.S. I am not sure what the little elephant is doing there. He is not part of the scheme but at least he's not pink).

Creating my bog garden: reality strikes

 In my last post I explained how a leaking pond became the trigger for a whole new garden ethos. I did not want to alter the entire look but...